3.27.2014

Choose Joy

I've been playing with some mixed media techniques lately.  I love taking time to try some things that are out of my comfort zone.  I didn't think this piece would actually become a card.  (The finished card is 6" x 5")

I started with a sheet of canvas that I painted with gesso and cut down to an odd size.  I "daubered" some Tim Holtz Distress acrylic paints onto it and spritzed with water.  I finger painted a bit with that and dried it some with a heat gun.  It was still wet so I splotched at it with a paper towel which left some nice texture.  The next day when I looked at it I thought this piece would be fun to build a collage onto. The canvas was thin so I backed it onto a piece of matte board using a piece of full sheet adhesive to cover the whole thing.




I dug into my stash of "bits & pieces"...unused die cuts...borders...punchies...etc.  It sort of just evolved into what it is.  I did learn that close attention to spelling is really important when you are using black paint to stamp with so "chose" became "choose" when I ending up covering my boo-boo (note to self: never apply for a job at a tattoo parlor)  I wanted to use some glitter too but I wanted my houses to look like they had been iced with frosting...not snow!...so it is what it is.  ;)  I have to say it was fun to play.  Now maybe I'll be brave enough to get a regular sized canvas done.

Stamps:   My Sentiments Exactly- Alphabet clear,  Hero Arts- Type set

Paint:   Distress Acrylic Paint- Wild Honey, Picked Raspberry, Evergreen Bough, Broken China,  Fresco Chalk Finish Acrylics- Snowflake, Chalk, Cheesecake, Little Black Dress
Uni Posca Paint Pens- white, black,  Faber-Castell Pit Artist Pens- Dk.Chrome Yellow, Lt. Cobalt Turquoise, Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist- Bubble Light Green

Specialty Paper:   Fredrix Canvas sheet,  Doodlebug-Kraft in Color, Basic Grey- Capture pad,  Silhouette- Glitz Design Hankies Banner(print and cut) natural kraft corrugate

Tools:   Sizzix- Tim Holtz Townscape die, Simon Says Stamp- Flat Bottom Cloud dies,  Lawn Fawn- Grassy Border, Memory Box- Flying Birds, Carla Craft- Flower punch

Misc:   Golden Regular Gel Medium- matte,  Claudine Hellmuth- white gesso


No comments:

Post a Comment