3.31.2014

Vintage Birthday Greetings

Yesterday I spent some time picking up my studio space.  I'm one of those people who can't work when things are in too much of a whirlwind.  Oddly enough picking up prepares me for my next projects.  I can usually see 2 or 3 cards within all the paper scraps and loose embellishments and stamps I took out but didn't use.
I had played with some background ideas last week so I had some of the pieces laying around.  One of the backgrounds was one I had seen Wendy Vecchi doing a demo of while being filmed during this past CHA (youtube).  This is a very similar technique to what I used to call "Poor Man's" polished stone way back in the day.  The parts for the technique are the same...Ranger Specialty paper ( aka: matte coat card stock), archival inks (dye inks) and rubbing alcohol( a high % works best).  To create the polished stone effect I used to brayer dye ink onto matte coated cardstock and pounce alcohol soaked cotton balls on to that to move the ink.  Krylon metallic markers were used instead of metallic mixatives to achieve a glimmery effect. 
This new technique is very cool. You just drop a couple different drips of archival reinkers into a small "puddle" of rubbing alcohol(on your craft mat) and spread out with a palette knife before smooshing Ranger Specialty paper over.  More drips of alcohol can be added for cool drippage effects. If you try this technique it will only work on matte coated card stock or Ranger Specialty paper.
 I liked the almost rusty looking effect I had gotten on this background and paired it with a vintage photo that had rusty spots too.




 card size: 5" x 7"

Stamps:   Crafty Secrets Grand Greetings

Specialty Paper:   Basic Grey- Basics Manila 6 x 6, Basic Grey LilyKate "Rain" 12 x 12,  Maja Designs 12 x 12,  Fancy Pants Designs- Etcetera (wood pattern) 6x6, Matte Coat white cardstock

Inks:  Archival- Coffee, Blue Violet, Tree Branch,  Distress Ink- Shaded Lilac,  Copic BV02

Embellishment:   Doodlebug Design-Mini Pearls Lilac,  Swarovski gems SS5 Cyclamen

Tools:   Impression Obsession- Hollyhocks die,  Poppy Dies- Picket Fence





No comments:

Post a Comment